Saturday, May 26, 2012

DIY Sweater!

Ok, so I know this has probably been done before and yes, I realize this. But! I decided to give it a go anyway! So lets get started!


First of all, start with the following:
1 Over sized sweatshirt
Scissors
Pins
Thread
Doilies (I used four of various sizes)
Lace trim (I ended up not using this) 


Flip sweatshirt inside out pin up the sides and sew. This is because my shirt was enormous and needed to be taken in a little bit.


Next pin where you want your neck hole to be cut larger. Pins help keep your lines even and they allow you to get the sides mostly symmetrical. 


then cut the neckline out! Mine is lower in the front than the back, but that is just how I wanted it :)


After cutting the neckline out, arrange your doilies on the shirt. Once you have them arranged they way you want, pin and hand sew them on. Sew them on in the most discreet way possible.

Tips:
Use thread that is the same color as the doilies
dont unpin anything until you are completely done
stich the doilies on in a few close places and then tie a knot, instead of taking them all down in one foul sweep.


Now all that has to be done is folding the overlapping doilies down behind the neckline and taking them down.

The last step is to run a straight stitch around the whole neckline, this helps it to keep it's shape and helps to keep it on your shoulders.



El Fin!

I rolled the sleeves up just to give it an even more laid back feel.
I am really happy with the way this turned out :)


1 comment:

  1. That's really cool! I did a jumper refashion with bunting, and one with lace, but I've still got another jumper left over so I might have to try something like this and change the neckline as well.

    ReplyDelete