Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DIY Hula Hoop Chandelier

So Recently I had plans to host a backyard luau party. Unfortunately The weather said no, so I decided to do FOOTLOOSE instead. In about 3  hours I cleared my entire shed out, laid down a floor rug, whipped up some barn dance treats, ran an electrical chord out side and made a chandelier. I seriously did all of this in about three hours! 

The original Idea came from this website:http://sarahontheblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/hula-hoop-chandelier.html

The Chandelier took me about 30 minutes. It was quick, easy and really made the shed look great!


Materials:
Hula Hoop
Thick Satin Fabric
Glue Gun
Scissors
Bailing Twine 
Twisty Ties


Cut 8 three foot long pieces of bailing twine and tie them onto the hula hoop like spokes on a bicycle 


Cut your fabric into strips that are about 2 inches wide, and as long as your fabric


Using hot glue to tack down the fabric, start wrapping the strips around your hula hoop. When you get to a spot where the twine was tied, make sure to hide the knot with your fabric, then just keep on wrapping


This is what the hula hoop looked like after I finished wrapping and glueing the fabric down


Next take some Icicle christmas lights and attach them to your hula hoop. I used twisty ties to secure the lights to the hoop, They were fast and easy, and they really got the job done


Next Pull all your spokes together and tie a knot in the top of the bailing twine. Do this and make sure your hula hoop is relatively balanced and even. 


Plug an extension chord into the lights, and hoist the chandelier up into the rafters!

This was really really easy to do, and totally set the mood for the party. Everyone loved it and I gives of a surprising amount of light as well!







1 comment: